Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Very Important Life Lessons

I have had an interesting few weeks to say the least. I think there are times in our life that we are in a season of growth. That's exactly where I am right now! Learning and growing. I have learned a few life lessons this week that I feel are worth sharing, in hopes that you will learn from my mistakes.


1. Sometimes you should stick to what you are good at.
     Over the past couple weeks we have been going out to my mom's property in Bastrop to work on the land. Because I had both of my kids out there, I was really useless in the "work on the land" department. How much can you really get done with a 2 year old and a baby strapped to your chest in 100 degrees?? So Tony and my mom did most of the work while I kept the kids inside. Finally I decided that I should really let my mom have a break (well, if you consider watching my kids a break) and I would go out and do some work. Tony convinced me that the brush mower he bought was "just like" using a weed eater, only easier. Not that I would know the difference considering I have never used either one of these things, but I thought- hey, how hard can it really be?!? I was outside for 5 minutes using this machine and somehow was able to break one of my mom's windows in her RV and a window in my car at the same time. 5 minutes, that is it. I realized in that moment I am no good at yard work and instead will stick to taking care of my kids and the A/C!





2. Think before you swim.
    I went to the lake with my best friend and our kids the other day.  Of course having 3 small kids meant it took like 1/2 an hour just to get swimwear, sunblock, floats, etc. on. By the time we finally got them ready to swim they were so eager we just ran to the water. I was playing with the kids while my friend held Beck on the shore. Suddenly I felt a bit "heavier", but the kids were so happy I didn't bother to give it another thought. As I started walking out of the water I realized I had forgotten to take off a very important piece of new mom gear- my nursing pads. Similar to what a diaper does when it is soaked in water- these do the same thing! Lesson learned- Super Absorbent does not play favorites when it comes to liquids. It just absorbs!





3. You don't always have to be the cool parent.
    We went to visit my dad on Sunday for Father's Day. As we were leaving he said he had a slide that they no longer use and we should take it home for Rafi to play with. What a GREAT idea! I was so excited. First thing Monday morning I set the slide up for Rafi and of course I took it to a ghetto level. I set the slide up to go straight into the very small kiddie pool we have in the backyard. We happened to also buy a slip n slide the day before that I went ahead and set up as well. Rafi played all morning and had so much fun. Then after nap time she wanted to go right back out. But this time she decided she wanted someone to play with her. How could I say no?!? After seriously hurting my leg trying to show my 2 year old sweet moves on the slip n slide, we moved over to the pool slide. She said "mommy, you do it with me." Again, who can refuse this?? So, I get on the slide- of course I have to sit sideways since I didn't actually fit on the slide and there I went. Rafi was clapping and screaming "GREAT JOB Mommy!!" So- I did it again, and again... Finally the pool had enough. On my last slide, my legs went straight through the plastic. As I sat looking at half my body hanging out of the pool and all of the water gushing out, all I could hear was Rafi no longer encouraging me, but instead saying "Mommy, why did you break my pool?? I need a new one!" (Oh how they turn on you quickly.) After pulling myself out of the disaster zone, I decided I'm going to let Dad take the cool parent role. He is way better at it than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment