Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's The Funniest Time of The Year

The thing I love most about the holiday season is getting to spend time with our families. Our gatherings are a beautiful blend of love, laughter, and a dash of crazy.

My mom has a huge Christmas party every year at her house and there are always a ton of people there with a thousand different conversations going on at the same time.  One of my favorite things to do is just walk around and hear bits and pieces of each one. This year, some of the things I overheard are below. Names have not been included for obvious reasons...

- "You probably don't recognize me because I shaved off my Jesus." - in reference to his beard
- "I am on glass #3 of wine, but I can handle it." - said while dancing alone in the kitchen
- "I have a stick, I just need a weenie"- you can go where you want with that one

One of my favorite Christmas Memories was at my mom's party last year. Early in the evening I heard my cousin Christina complaining of an ear ache. Then a little later on I heard her say "I will just smoke it out." Call me stupid, but for some reason I did not put together that she was still talking about her ear when she said this. But sure enough she was. I was terrified yet intrigued as I watched her roll up a piece of newspaper go outside stick it in her ear, and watch my cousin Andrew light the other end on fire. In case you think I am making this up- I have attached a picture. (Children, do not try this at home)

I know what you are thinking "Jessica, I do this all the time to take care of my ear infections. Doctors are very overrated." Obviously my family would agree with you. Who needs antibiotics when you have newspaper and fire??

I can't help but smile as I think of how blessed I am to be with people each year that make me laugh, whether WITH them or AT them.

As you go about celebrating with friends and family this week, remember there may be someone that is just listening and observing, waiting to write on a public forum about all of the crazy things you say and do.

Wishing you all laughter and a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment